The first step: a COE

To apply for VA financing, you'll need to produce a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This can be obtained online at the VA eBenefits portal or by calling Veterans Affairs Benefits & Services at 1-800-827-1000 (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-9:00pm ET).

Trouble obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility? Email our team of trained individuals who can help you obtain your COE, or use our web form to contact us.

You may be entitled to VA Home Loan benefits if your military service history fits one of the following descriptions:

Military Veterans

You must have:

  • served in Active Duty for 90 days during war time, OR
  • served 181 continuous days in peace time

Active Military

You must have served:

  • 24 continuous months or more, OR
  • a full period of Active Duty, but not less than 90 days during war time or 181 days in peace time

Reserves and National Guard

You may be eligible if one of these applies to you:

  • Completed six years as member of active unit
  • Received an Honorable Discharge and retired
  • Have a service-related disability, OR
  • Were activated for at least 90 days during the Gulf War era
    (August 1990 to present)


You may be eligible if one of these applies to you:

  • Widows/widowers of servicemen or women who died while serving, or were declared MIA or POW.
  • Service personnel who left the military because of a Reduction in Force after 20 months of a two-year enlistment.
  • A surviving spouse of a veteran who died while in service, or from a service-connected disability who remarries on or after age 57, and on or after
    December 16, 2003.